Baccarat Vs. Blackjack Odds
Although Baccarat and Blackjack’s popularity goes hand in hand, the games are quite different. Baccarat is a pure game of chance where you should only worry about how much to wager. On the other hand, Blackjack involves thoughts and decision-making. It also requires basic strategy knowledge.
Both games offer a great mix of fun and winning odds. But if you ask which is really better, I say it depends. It depends on your preferences, and you may already prefer one game over the other. So, I am not here to tell which one is better to play. Because, in reality, there is no better than the other. I will compare the two games so you can have a better understanding while making your decision.
Let me start by refreshing your memory on baccarat playing rules. Although Baccarat is a game of chance and involves no complicated strategy, you should know the basics. Can you remember the baccarat goal? Yes, it is to have a hand with a higher score. In fact, if you have 2 or 3 cards with a higher score, you win. It is considered a comparing card game because two hands are in play; the player and the banker. In this game:
- Aces are worth 1,
- tens and face cards are worth 0,
- and cards 2-9 are worth their face values
As mentioned in the beginning, to play baccarat you only need to worry about the amount you want to wager. You go to the baccarat table and bet on one of the following outcomes:
- your hand winning(player),
- the banker’s hand winning,
- or a tie
Of course, you should know the rules, but you don’t need to memorize anything. If you play at a land-based casino, you can request a hard copy of the game rules. If you play online, you can download and keep it with you while playing.
|Draws a card
|Natural (banker cannot draw)
First two cards total:
When the player’s third card is:
When player’s third card is:
|Natural (player cannot draw)
In blackjack, you also need to have a higher hand, but unlike baccarat, your hand is only against the dealer’s hand. In fact, the blackjack goal is to beat the dealer by having two or more cards with a numerical value of 21 or less. But still, your hand value should be higher than the dealer’s hand. Remember, if you get a sum of 22 or higher, you are busted!
As I said, in this game, you are playing against the dealer and regardless of the number of people at the table, the two hands in play are the dealer’s hand and the player’s(your) hand.
Card values in blackjack and baccarat are not the same. In blackjack:
- aces have a value of 1 or 11.
- Face cards and tens are worth 10,
- and cards 2-9 are worth their face values.
Blackjack is the game of strategy. In other words, you need to learn the basic rules and understand how to apply different strategies. Below is a summary of basic blackjack rules that every player must know:
- Each player receives two cards. One of the dealer’s cards is hidden until the end.
- If you Hit, you ask for another card. If you want to Stand, this means you decide to keep(hold) your total and end your turn.
- If you get more than 21, regardless of the dealer’s hand, you are busted and the dealer wins.
- If you are lucky enough and dealt 21 from the start (Ace & 10), you got a natural or blackjack.
- The dealer continues to hit until their card total is 17 or higher.
- Doubling is like hitting. But your bet will be doubled after you double down, and you can get only one more card.
- If you have two of the same card, you can split and turn your pair into two hands. By splitting, you double your bet and each new hand will be worth your original bet.
- Double/Split can be used only on your first move, or your first move of a hand created by a split.
- After two aces are split, you cannot play on them.
Also, you can download the blackjack strategy chart, practice it and keep it while playing.
House Edge Baccarat Vs. Blackjack
Since card values and gameplay are different, the house advantage in Baccarat and Blackjack also differs. In addition, in baccarat, every bet has its own house edge. So, let us go over the house edge differences in the two games.
For baccarat, you can bet on the player’s hand, the banker’s hand, or the tie outcomes. The house advantage for each bet is
- 1.24% for the player’s hand,
- 1.06% for the banker’s hand. However, if your banker bet wins, a 5% commission is applied to your winnings and you should pay it to the house.
- and 14.36% for the tie.
On the other hand, the house advantage for blackjack is much lower than it is for most casino games. But, you should be careful about the following points:
- If you play the basic strategy, the house advantage will be around 0.5%.
- If you do not play the basic strategy, the house advantage rises to around 2%. But be very careful, if you are a bad player and are terrible at the basic strategy, the house will have a 100% advantage over you. So, your takeaway from this section is to do your homework before playing any blackjack game.
- The house edge varies based on game conditions. Also, if the house uses more decks of cards, the advantage rises even more.
Overall, the house advantage of different blackjack variants are as follows:
|Vegas Downtown Blackjack
|Vegas Strip Blackjack
Baccarat Vs. Blackjack Odds
Obviously, the two games have different payouts since their house advantage are not the same.
Although the odds of winning at blackjack can be as high as 42.22%, this does not imply that the house wins 57.78% of the time. Because in blackjack, there is a third possible result that is a push. Usually, 8.48% of blackjack games end in a push. In fact, the probability of a loss is about 49.10%.
However, as I mentioned earlier, blackjack odds are not fixed and they can fluctuate. The odds depend on the blackjack variant, the rules for the player and the dealer, the player’s playing style, and the player’s level of blackjack knowledge.
For baccarat, on the other hand, the odds are fixed and the rules are simple. This is the game of chance with a relatively low house edge-except for a tie bet- and you should not apply any complicated strategy. For these reasons, the odds of winning at a baccarat table are considerably higher than at blackjack. For the player and banker’s hand, the payout is 1:1. But for the tie, the payout is 8:1 (sometimes 9:1).
Pros and Cons; Baccarat Vs. Blackjack
|Pros of Playing Baccarat
|Pros of Playing Blackjack
|Several variants to choose from.
|No complicated strategy is required.
|Lower house advantage compared to other casino games.
|Lower house edge and Higher odds of winning.
|Plenty of decisions and strategies are available for the players.
|Cons of Playing Baccarat
|Cons of Playing Blackjack
|Complex scoring system
|Rules can vary dramatically.
|Little thinking is involved
|Learning the strategy is intimidating for beginners.
|Limited betting options
|Confusing gameplay at first.
|No game variety
|A complicated strategy; requires a level of knowledge and expertise.
Main Difference Between Baccarat and Blackjack
One of the significant differences between live baccarat and live blackjack is their minimum stakes. Baccarat is considered a high-rollers’ game. In other words, the minimum bet limit is much higher than blackjack. This means you must be very careful about your bankroll because the game can end badly for you.
The minimum stake for casino blackjack games is as low as $5 or even less in some casinos.
Best Online Casinos To Play Baccarat And Blackjack
You can find tons of online casinos that offer blackjack and baccarat games. However, I recommend playing at the following sites because they are safe and licensed. Also, these sites offer extensive game selection, excellent customer service, several secure and fast banking options, and great promotions.
|Live Baccarat & Blackjack
|Min bet limit
|Max bet limit
|100% up to $5,000
|Up to $6,000
|Up to $3,750
|Red Dog Casino
|150% up to $3,000
|Up to $1,000
To Sum It Up…
If you ask me which game is better to play, you will not get an answer. Because this is your call. Both games are fun and have some advantages and disadvantages. If you like tactical games and you want to challenge your brain and apply strategies, Blackjack is an ideal option. But if you want to have some fun and burn some time without challenging yourself, go to the Baccarat table. Some say blackjack is better because you have more control over the odds. Also, in-depth strategy is involved in this game, you can lower the house edge to 0.5% with basic strategy, more game options are available, and more decisions are available on each hand. On the other hand, some are pro-baccarat and like it over blackjack because it offers a combination that no other casino game can offer. Baccarat is an easy game to play with a very simple strategy component and provides better RTP rates.
Now, you tell me, which one do you like the most?!
Latest Blog Posts
I am a professional poker player and here I will introduce you the best casinos for betting and learn new things about the world of betting.view Profile