Is Over/Under Betting The Ultimate Strategy in Sports Betting?
Have you ever heard of the terms “over” and “under” in sports betting? If not, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this article, we’ll explain what these terms mean and how they can be used to make smarter bets. Essentially, “over” and “under” refer to the total number of the selected event/s (points, goals, etc) that will happen in a game. By understanding these concepts, you can make more informed decisions when placing bets and increase your chances of winning big. Even if you know the concept or have some idea about it, this article will take your over/under sports betting strategy to the next level. So, let’s dive in and arm you with some valuable information!
What Is Over/Under In Sports Betting(The Easy Way!)
So you think you know Totals, but do you really?! Over/Under or Totals is a kind of sports bet in which you wager on a total amount of something to happen. Different types of total bets include but are not limited to total points scored during a game, total yards for a player, total points scored by a player during a game, total goals, and total number of wins that a team will have in a season.
For example, in an NFL game between Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills, the game total is set to be 48.5 points. It means if you bet on over and the game ends with 49, your bet slip pays out according to the listed odds. On the other hand, if you bet on under and the game ends with 47 points, your bet also wins. Otherwise, you will lose your bet. You will learn more about over/under odds and how to read them in the following sections.
Over/Under Bets: How To Read Totals Odds?
Before we explain how to bet over/under, you should learn how bookmakers list total odds and how to interpret them. Similar to point spreads, totals come with odds at or around -110. Unlike Moneyline odds where you pick the winner of the game, there is no favorite or underdog in totals. In other words, over/under bets have the same payout on both sides. One beauty of over/under betting is its versatility – it can be utilized across a wide range of events.
You can place total wagers on events like the number of strikeouts by a pitcher, the number of laps led by a driver during a NASCAR event, the finishing time in a marathon, or even mundane things like how long it takes someone to complete a grocery shopping. The over/under market allows you to transform many measurable outcomes into a betting proposition.
Let’s have a look at the following simple example and practice together:
Betonline set the over/under line at 210.5 points for an NBA match between the Lakers and Celtics, and the odds look like this:
210.5 is the total points that Betonline bookmakers predict to be scored in this match by both teams combined. If the match ends in 211 points or more and you wagered $110 on over, you will gain $100 and a total profit of $210. On the other hand, if you bet $110 on the under and the match ends in 210 points or less, you will again gain $100 plus your initial wager.
Two Kinds Of Totals: What Is A Push In Over/Under Betting?
There are two types of totals that oddsmakers set: whole numbers(like 9 runs in baseball) and fractions(like 210.5 in basketball). If a bet has a fraction, there will be a clear result. But if the total is a whole number, there may be a tie or push. For example, if the over/under is 49 points in a football game and the final score is 28-21, the bet is a “push,” and bettors get their money back. If a game is canceled or postponed, different sportsbooks have different policies on whether bets are refunded or remain active. For this reason, it’s important to check the sportsbook’s rules before placing any bets.
Over/Under Betting In UFC and Boxing
Over/Under betting in combat sports is when you bet on how many rounds a fight will go. Hence, here is a quick recap of what you should know:
- In boxing, championship bouts are 12 rounds of 3 minutes each, while UFC title fights are 5 rounds of 5 minutes each.
- In boxing, non-title fights are usually 10 rounds or less, while in UFC they are 3 rounds.
- If one or both fighters are known knockout artists, the over/under number will be lower. Conversely, if two fighters are more likely to go the distance, the over/under number will be higher.
- For example, when Mike Tyson fought in his prime, the over/under number for his fights was often low, as he was known for his knockout power. When Floyd Mayweather fought Manny Pacquiao in 2015, the over/under number was 11.5 rounds because of their well-known defensive skills.
The aim of over/under betting is to guess if the fight will go on for more (Over) or fewer (Under) rounds than the given number by the bookmaker. Do you think the fight will go the distance? Bet the over. But if you think the fight will end early, bet the under.
Over/Under Ultimate Strategy: Is It Better To Bet Over or Under?
There is no definitive answer on whether it’s better to bet the over or the under. Because wagering on either side depends on the specific game, match-up, and line set by the bookmaker. However, here are some tips to help you make better decisions while choosing to wager on over or under:
- In general, in high-scoring sports like basketball and football, betting on over works better. Unders do better in low-scoring games like baseball or hockey.
- Study recent trends for the teams/players involved to see if they have been going over or under lines consistently.
- Factor in injuries, roster changes, or situational factors that could affect scoring. For example, two high-powered offenses would suggest an over.
- Consider the weather for outdoor sports. Because wind, rain, snow, etc could lower scoring.
- In general, betting unders requires defenses and game flow to slow down scoring. Betting overs is relying on offenses and high tempo.
- Make sure you understand why the total is set at a certain number and do your own analysis to decide if it’s too high or low.
- Don’t assume high totals are always “overs” and low totals “unders.” Sportsbooks aim to set lines where betting action is split.
- Shop around for the best line value among trusted and legit bookmakers.
Overall, there’s no foolproof formula for betting on totals, so do your homework on the matchups, analyze trends and factors at play, and try to find over/under lines with the most value.
Over/under bets provide an exciting way to wager on sports without having to pick an outright winner. By betting on whether teams will combine to score over or under a set projected total, you simply have to analyze their offensive and defensive capabilities relative to that number. It is a popular way to wager on the total points scored in a game. But it’s not just about luck – the key to success with over/unders is studying trends, injuries, weather reports, and other factors that may influence scoring.
Over/Under In Sports Betting FAQs
What Does Over/Under 1.5 Mean In Betting?
It is a decimal representation of total odds. For over, two or more of the selected event must happen during a game for the bet slip to pay out. For under, less than two must happen. For example, if you bet on under 1.5 goals, and the match ends without a goal, your bet wins.
What Are The Best Sports For Totals Betting Market?
Football, basketball, tennis, and cricket are among the best markets for over/under betting.
What Is The Best Online Sportsbook For US Players?
Betonline is the top choice for US sports bettors. FanDuel, Bovada, and BetMGM are also solid options.
Is Point Spread The Same As Over/Under?
No. Over/Under is the same as totals. There are point spread totals, but they are not the same thing.
The Best USA Online Casinos of Feb 2024
50% up to$1,000
250% up to$5,000
250% up to$6,000
100% up to$1,000
100% up to$1,000
100% up to$8,000
Latest Blog Posts
I am a professional poker player and here I will introduce you the best casinos for betting and learn new things about the world of betting.view Profile